Leveraging GreyHeller’s PeopleUX technology platform, our customer – University of Minnesota – made its Student Self-Service, Faculty, Job Applicant components accessible and Section 508/WCAG 2.0 compliant.
The University set the PeopleSoft Accessibility bar at providing parity of access for its visually impaired students. It therefore needed to satisfy these critical requirements:
• All functionality had to be available if the keyboard was the only means of interaction
• All functionality had to be easy to use – versus merely render-able – on accessibility devices
• Functionality could not be disabled because rendering on accessibility devices was problematic.
The structure of the PeopleSoft HTML was transformed into proper semantic structure for use with accessibility devices.
Navigation and Taxonomy
To assist with end-user navigation through the dozens of elements on a PeopleSoft page and between the hundreds of pages a user may have access to, attributes were set and HTML was transformed using PeopleMobile®.
As an end-user reads and updates information in PeopleSoft, form and AJAX processing cause screen readers to lose track of where an end-user is in the page, causing significant productivity and usability issues. PeopleMobile® addressed this in the following ways.
• Highlighting focused content– content currently being updated
• Remembering scroll position after returning from prompts, AJAX updates, or
• Remembering the end-user’s focus on page load
The University prioritized the self-service functions into a list of 71 Use Cases and divided them up into 5 phases. Only users registered as Accessibility users have access to the PeopleMobile® product, so the focus of the implementation was to provide a screen reader user experience. The University deployed 10 Use Cases at a time – introducing functionality in phases rather than waiting until all Use Cases had been approved. Each month UMN went live with a new group of Use Cases, and each go live was accompanied by communications to the user group.
To get a copy of our University of Minnesota White Paper, email us at email@example.com
"Learn how you can reduce risk with rapid threat protection, audit response and access control. All from a single, comprehensive platform"
Trusted by hundreds of leading brands